We are currently recruiting a Technical Author for our client based in Aberdeen.
This is a full time, permanent role.
The Technical Author will work within the wider team of engineering professionals with the overall aim of producing high quality technical documentation in accordance with customer specifications, project quality requirements and regulatory requirements.
Technical documentation includes, but is not limited to, Operation & Maintenance Manuals, Functional Design Specifications, Training Manuals, Spares Manuals, Technical Construction Files, engineering reports, procedures, work packs, FAT and other test procedures & reports.
The role will involve determination of documentation requirements at the outset of a project, planning the production of documentation into the overall project schedule, then gleaning sufficient information to enable production of the documents to the required level of detail and quality. This information gathering will involve requesting and receiving information from engineers, project personnel, other departments in the company, customers and suppliers, as well as seeking out and reading existing documentation.
A track record in producing technical documents is essential, with a proven ability to process received information into concise, accurate technical documentation.
A knowledge of operation & maintenance manual requirements in line with directives, regulations and standards (e.g., Machinery Directive, PUWER, BS EN standards) would be an advantage.
- Identify documentation requirements from project specification documents, Project Execution Plan, and from discussion with project personnel.
- Plan the document structure and content to ensure project quality requirements will be met.
- Obtain the technical and wider information that will be required to produce the technical documents to the required level of quality and content.
- Produce accurate documentation to meet project requirements and in accordance with any regulating standards.
- Manage planned delivery dates and ensure deadlines are met.
- Manipulate drawings, illustrations and data for document creation.
- Ensure any documentation related issues are dealt with promptly (this includes customer changes to specification).
- Interrogating project databases, registers and repositories for source data in order to produce or assess the impact to technical publications.
- Producing technical documentation in accordance with customer specifications; this includes amendments and production of new technical publications.
- Delivering draft technical publications for engineering governance, within agreed timescales and to agreed company and customer acceptable quality standards.
- Provide regular updates on the progress of all technical publication tasks as required.
Desired Qualities / Qualifications
- Excellent IT skills with expert knowledge of MS Office, Adobe Acrobat and Outlook.
- Working to strict deadlines in a high-pressured environment.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Engineering and/or design background, ideally with engineering degree.
- Good level of awareness / knowledge of mechanical / electrical / hydraulic / automation & control engineering disciplines.
- Proactive approach to tasks, good problem-solver.
- At least 2 years as a Technical Author or similar role involving production of technical documentation.
- Authoring of descriptive and procedural data.
- Has the ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Degree or HND in an engineering or technical discipline.
- 2 years minimum experience in a similar or related role.
- Excellent IT skills